Weed control is an important consideration in maintaining both the aesthetic appearance of your landscape as well as allowing for proper form of your plantings as they grow. When your plantings were installed by Bruss Landscaping, we applied a pre-emergent weed control product to all of your planting beds. While this product will not eliminate all weeds that pop up after a new installation, it will reduce the numbers present in your landscape by desiccating the weeds right when the seeds germinate. Even with this application, you should expect weeds to develop 2-3 weeks after your installation, as we have disturbed the soil and brought many latent seed and rhizomes to the surface.
How to Prevent Weeds in the Future:
- Apply pre-emergent weed control product each spring to all planting beds. Pre-emergent is best installed prior to re-mulching, which is also recommended annually.
- Mulching your garden has many benefits such as keeping your soil cool and moist while keeping light from weeds, which allows them to germinate and grow. One of the best methods to deter weeds from growing through your mulch is placing newspaper, or biodegradable fabric, on top of your soil before mulching.
How to Treat Weeds Now:
- Manually remove weeds as they occur sporadically throughout your planting beds. It is typically best to weed right after your soil has been watered, or a rainstorm has come through and saturated your gardens. Pulling weeds when wet ensures you will get most of the weed root to come out and decreasing the chances of weeds growing back. Note: we always recommend wearing gloves when pulling weeds. You never know when you may run into something you are allergic to, or worse yet, Poison Ivy!
- In severe weed outbreaks, post emergent weed control, such as RoundUp may be the best approach. Always take extreme care when applying post emergent weed controls to your landscape, as they will kill or harm all green tissue they contact.
It is also always an option to take advantage of the services we offer for maintaining your investment in landscaping. Bruss Landscaping offers full landscape maintenance programs for all clients whose landscapes we originally installed.
- Custom Landscape Design
- Outdoor Living / Hardscapes
- Firepits / Fireplaces
- Top Quality Plant Materials
- Landscape Lighting
- Seasonal Urns / Planters
- Landscape Maintenance
Transform Your Outdoor Living Space Into an Oasis!Click Here